Taipei Series: How to apply for an APRC

I have benefited a lot from online sources like Forumosa and Taiwanease when I started doing my research on how to apply for an Alien Permanent Resident Certificate (APRC). I thought of paying it forward by writing my own guide based on my personal experience.

So what makes an expat in Taiwan eligible to apply for an APRC?
I'm copying here the list from National Immigration Agency (NIA) that was released on March 7, 2016. They do change this list regularly so make sure you have the most recent version. 
  • The applicant must be at least 20 years old.
  • Applicants who have been living as legal residents in Taiwan for over 183 days per year for 5 consecutive years are eligible to apply for PR status (excluding the time period when the applicant stayed in Taiwan as student), but must do so within two years of the day of eligibility.
  • Applicants who are the spouse or child of an ROC national must reside in Taiwan for 5 consecutive years for over 183 days per year, or reside in Taiwan for 10 consecutive years for over 183 days in at least 5 of those years. They must apply within two years of the day of eligibility.
  • An applicant who has obtained an APRC must reside for over 183 days per year in Taiwan. To request an exemption to travel abroad extendedly, you must inform the NIA. Maximum length for each exemption is 2 years.
  • English name used in all documents must be the same as that shown in the applicant’s passport.
  • Applicant’s ARC must be valid at the time of the APRC application.

What are the requirements?
  • Completed application form (
  • One 2-inch passport photo on white background (bring 2 pieces just in case)
  • Current and previous passports (original and photocopies of the basic information on A4 paper)
  • Valid ARC (Original and one photocopy on A4 paper)
  • Clean police records of the past 5 years:  Issued by the ROC- Apply online via this link: Click on the first option 申辦作業 and fill out the form. You will be notified through email if your clearance is ready. Pick up the document at the Taipei City Police Department- No. 96 Yanping South Road (short walk from MRT Ximen Station Exit 5). NT$100 fee.; Issued by the home country- not needed if applicant has been legal residents of Taiwan for 5 consecutive years, and has not left Taiwan for more than 3 months per trip.
  • Health certificate- not needed if applicant has been a legal resident of Taiwan for 5 consecutive years, and has not left Taiwan for more than 3 months per trip.
  • Documents showing financial independence (any of the following)- Tax statement or salary certificate for the most recent year; Bank statements; Movable and immovable property; Other documents proving that the applicant can afford to live in Taiwan
  • Other supporting documents for employment: (1) Original and one photocopy of current work permits issued by the Ministry of Labor; (2) Employment certificate with the company seal and company representative’s personal seal (valid for 1 month from the date of issue)
  • NT$10,000 cash application fee. Your employer may pay it on your behalf, depending on your agreement.
Once you have completed all the requirements, you need to double (maybe even triple) check with NIA if you qualify for APRC. Simply give them a call and they will check their records for you. I thought one would need an appointment when lodging an application, but I was told the process is similar to the regular ARC application procedure. The NIA hotline for APRC application is 02-23889393 ext. 3131, 3122 or 3123

APRC processing time takes 6 to 8 weeks. You will receive either a call from NIA or a document which will be mailed to the address you have provided, whether or not your APRC application has been approved. If approved, you will need to call the number specified on the mailed document and they will inform you when the ID is available for pick-up. 

Hope this helps! Feel free to leave a comment or drop me a line on the 'Contact Me' section if you have questions regarding my APRC application experience. Next stop: applying for an Open Work Permit

No comments