Taipei Series: How to Apply for an Open Work Permit

Congratulations on getting your APRC! Applying for an Open Work Permit (OWP) is the next step after obtaining your permanent residency. Basically, it is a 'freedom card' from your current employer because you can now finally resign after they sponsored your work-permit and ARC! Half-kidding aside, the OWP and your APRC will allow you to work with any company or organization of your choice, without them having to sponsor you and undergo tedious work permit application yada yada. BUT, of course you still have to meet the employer's qualifications for the position.

So how do you apply for an Open Work Permit? You need the following documents:
1. Duly-filled application form (doc file)
2. APRC + 2 photocopies of its front and back sides (both sides must be on the same page)
3. Passport + One photocopy of the bio page of your passport
4. One photo
5. NT$ 100 application fee

Once you have all documents ready, you need to go to the Workforce Development Agency (WDA) and submit the requirements personally. WDA is located at No. 39 (10th Flr), Section 1, Zhonghua Rd, Zhongzheng District, Taipei (臺北市中正區中華路一段39號10樓). Nearest MRT stop is Ximen Station, Exit 5; same building with TaiSugar Hotel- office side.

You have the option to wait for the card for an hour or two, or have it delivered to your office or residence.

Do note that if you have updated your passport (and your APRC), you also need to update your OWP card. Update of information is free of charge, just bring your old and new passport and their photocopies. Hope this helps! Shoot me an email through the contact box if you need more information.

No comments